Subject: [Leica] surgery
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jan 5 13:17:36 2006

Steve Ries said:
>>Frankly if it were me I would use a good black and white that I felt
> comfortable with for my first such adventure. I would load a fresh roll
> before going in and plan on only being able to shoot that. Make sure you
> take a good lens hood because you are going to have numerous light
> sources.<<<<

1/
<<<I would use a good black and white that I felt comfortable with for my
first such adventure.<<<

I'd use Tri-x 400 rated at 800, period. OR photographs are far more
interesting & powerful in B&W. Colour in an OR is the most distracting thing
you can shoot with...... unless you're shooting the blood and guts and want
that kind of image!

2/
>>>I would load a fresh roll before going in and plan on only being able to
>>>shoot that.<<<<

In reality do this! ;-)
I'd have one new in each of 3 M7's, not to forget the R8's I may have with
me. And at least a half dozen rolls in my OR shirt and pants pocket . And if
they didn't have a problem with my small crash bag in the 0R near the door
on the floor, there'd be another 20-30 rolls in there. Whatever you do,
don't go half assed prepared even if this is your first time. All of a
sudden lots of neat visual things start popping and yer standing there like
a dummy with one roll of 36 exposure film?    Why bother going at all with
only one roll?

And as I've shot on occasion with only one camera in the OR I still had
close by, at least 20 plus rolls.

Look anytime you're going into new territory always take more film than you
think you'll need then add ten rolls more! If you don't use them all it's no
big deal as use them on the next shoot. Old Boy Scout motto..... "BE
PREPARED!" Saved my ass on more than one occasion.

3/
>>>Make sure you take a good lens hood because you are going to have
>>>numerous light sources.<<<<

Well I suppose, but not absolutely necessary! However, the near 500 rolls of
Tri-x 36 exp. rolls shot for the book "Women in Medicine" neither the
Noctilux nor 35mm 1.4 Summilux had lens shades at anytime. The Noctilux
hasn't had a lens shade for at least 25 years as new it's stupidly over
priced and I've never been in any shoot location where it was evident I
should've used one or needed one.

The world of reality is amazing. ;-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited