Subject: [Leica] Japanese paper reports Canon to take over Leica
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Jan 7 11:14:55 2006

Bruce,
the move to Villa Nova de Famalicao was serious many years ago (1973)-
the majority of R4 production and two thirds (about) of the R5
production was carried out in Portugal. The assembly and QC/QA of R and
M cameras resumed in Solms after the new factory was opened, a good deal
of the parts for Leica cameras haven't been made by Leica for many
years, certain assemblies are reputed (Leica are very secretive) to be
made by Novoflex, there are even rumours that some parts are made by the
ex arch-rival Zeiss. Electronic bits and pieces are bought in from all
over the place.
BTEW,Not often mentioned, the easy way to tell a Portugal R5 from a
later, German, one, is that the Portugese models had a red Leica dot on
the left and R5 on the right(seen from the front). These changed places
when the production changed back to the new factory in Solms. Since then
many sub-assemblies have been produced in Portugal and elsewhere.
I always found it rather racist that many think that the Portugese
workers (and some absolute idiots think the Canadians( too) were so much
worse than German workers - the reason was that the clots in Wetzlar
didn't do a good QA job on R4 electronic components in the first
production run -
the resulting unreliability was dropped firmly on Portugal. As far as I
remember nobody in Germany ever took the blame for what ruined the
reputation of Leicas from the non-German Leicas.
Douglas