Subject: [Leica] Two from O'Hare United terminal
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 8 20:59:15 2006

Richard showed:
> I tried to capture the feeling of infinite walkways with the VC15:
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/LJPics/010806/crop0012.jpg
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/LJPics/010806/crop0013.jpg<<<

Richard,
A very cool looking area for shooting with a 15mm, makes for awesome picture
potential. All kinds of neat things, put the camera on the moving hand rail
while using a slow shutter speed, or put the camera on the floor of the
moving track and shoot. Infinite number of things. :-)

By the look of the place I figure one could play all day and with a wild
imagination it could become quite interesting. I'd venture at different
times of the day in colour it might be very beautiful with mood images..

However good sir I must give you a small chastising! ;-)

You did not hold your camera correctly, particularly with a 15mm lens,
vertically and horizontally! I realize any number will consider this a nit
picking thing. So be it, but the difference is... when someone who really
looks intently at a photograph the first thing your eye jumps to at first
glance is.... "the camera was tilted down!" ..... Look at the sides on frame
"0012.jpg"

Here's a little trick if you're using the 15 with an external viewfinder on
an M camera. Look through the external viewer to line up the shot, then
quickly change to the M viewfinder putting the centre patch on the same
centre point as seen externally. Now you know your angle of coverage isn't
going to change.

Then using the vertical sides of the M internal finder, square the camera
away horizontally and vertically on a part of the wall or a line whatever
and your shot should be correct. As well as more effective than a tilted
down or up creating distortion while potentially spoiling an otherwise very
interesting photograph.
ted

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Two from O'Hare United terminal)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Two from O'Hare United terminal)