Subject: [Leica] Re: St. Pauli, beer quality
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Jan 10 05:56:21 2006

We always get Detmolder when we visit friends who live a little to the
Southwest of us, an excellent brew with a lot of body, lasch is very
much the description of most beers now.
As to Br?tchen, the standard is still the one with a longitudinal cut
along the top, suitable for sweet or savoury stuff, the range these days
is however immense
and the differences in quality too. There's a big bakery concern called
Kamps which is trying to corner the market on bread, and is also
branching out into other food segments, the quality suffers as a result.
But everyone still has their local bakery (or at least one they swear
by). Supermarkets mostly have their own ovens and bake "fresh" bread
from raw dough.  Italian Ciabbatta loaves are becoming very popular
here, and we still have plenty of excellent Turkish and Greek bakeries
supplying flat loaves or Pita bread (why do ethnic stores always lay a
lot more emphasis on quality?) Quite new are Russian breads, mostly
simple stuff but tastes like home-made, a result of the influx of
Russland-Deutsche, ie people who could prove that their Great
Grandparents were of German origin. MIX, the Russian supermarket not far
from here is quite amazing too, about 60 different kinds of Vodka (who
needs Br?tchen), weird smoked fish, the most wonderful smoked salmon I
ever tasted and colossal jars of pickled everything - and cheap too. A
multi-cultural society does have a few things going for it.
Douglas