Subject: [Leica] Scanners (nikon to discontinue most film cameras)
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu Jan 12 14:12:44 2006

I purchased an Epson Expression 1680 about 5 years ago. I still use it a
lot today (which is more than I can say for the dedicated 35mm scanner I
purchased at about the same time).

I can scan a whole roll of 35mm with ease. It takes a minute to load
slides or negs. But then I just push a button to scan, and I let it do
its thing.

For negs -- bw and color -- and even slides it's more than adequate for
proofing, for web presentation, or even decent sized prints. Plus, I can
scan MF and LF, reflective or transparency. I use it more than I do my
Minolta 5400. No way do I want to scan everything with the 5400. It
wouldn't be practical.

Personally, I think flatbed scanners are highly underrated. They are
very versatile. I even scan a lot of documents and save them as PDFs. I
hate saving and filing paper.

DaveR