Subject: [Leica] was Nikon film cameras now 1927 negatives
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Thu Jan 12 20:48:23 2006

Don Dory writes in part:

> Then, like most things in life I will take the
> two steps forward with digital and the one step back with the archival
> issues.  It is all doable, just another set of skills and procedures to
> learn and practice. As a practical matter the DNR standard will help, as
> will whatever DVD format becomes dominate with 20-25 gigabytes per
> disk. At some point flash memory of some kind will become cheap enough
> that
> data will be kept on something that doesn't require moving parts.  Also,
> at some
> point, things will stabilize and with some common standard then
> the digits will be safe as Brian's doctoral? work predicted.

Don,

You are preaching to the choir here as I don't yet buy into the easy
archiving of anything digital. It costs lots of cash to keep up with and
maintain digital files. The technology moves rapidly, hard drives, dvd's and
tapes have a limited life span.

Historians' are really concerned that the growth of email, as the standard
for communication (replacing hand written or typed letters) and digital
image films replacing negs and prints is going to make accurate
documentation of every day life in the late 1990's and beyond a difficult
process.

I like the convenience of email and the internet makes the world smaller but
I still prefer to use my film cameras.

Regards,

Greg