Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Jan 14 00:52:56 2006

Which bit is magnesium on a VW? AFAIK only aluminium is used. We use
magnesium on some parts of our race engines - it has largely been
replaced by composites in most places where lightness is more
important than strength. We have to take extreme caution with regard
to corrosion and it is, of course, not very strong and still brittle,
although recent alloys are less so than a few years ago.
On a few of the upmarket Porsche versions of the flat aircooled
engine magnesium has been used for small low stress parts I believe,
but aluminium is the much more logical choice for a budget car.
Frank