Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Jan 14 01:12:59 2006

Well John the note I wrote a few dozen messages ago looks redundant
now! Is it the crankcase shell which is magnesium? How is it protected?
With standard potassium dichromate coating a racing car magnesium
gearbox casing can be corroded beyond repair within a year if in
storage. Magnesium water pump casings were lasting one or two races
(1000 miles or so) before being too badly corroded to reuse. We do
still have magnesium pump housings on most engines, nowadays machined
from solid on NC machines, but they still require a passivator in the
water otherwise they would be corroded through within an hour or two
running. Nowadays the life of an engine is 1200km then most of it is
scrap so the short life of mag parts is no longer an issue (if you
think that is bad it used to be 400km before the rules changed).
Sheet magnesium was banned from use in racing cars following the
death of Piers Courage in a magnesium chassis de Tomaso at a Grand
Prix in the early 70s (the car was being run by Frank Williams but
before my time) if I remember correctly the minimum thickness of
magnesium permitted in the rules is 3mm, though I haven't looked in
years. AFAIK only cheaper racing cars use magnesium for important
parts any more, and then probably only the gearcasing as it is
probably the cheapest lightweight case, but not very stiff or strong.
I haven't designed a magnesium hub carrier since the late 70s.
Frank