Subject: Noisy digital shadows - was: Re: [Leica] re: digital treadmill
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Jan 17 10:38:34 2006

Hi Phong,
I am also mindful of blown highlights. The benefit of digital is at
the other end of the spectrum, "expose to the left" on the histogram.
You will be amazed how much shadow detail is still there - as Clark's
measurements show. Since I have been exposing to the left I have no
longer the feeling that digital has a low dynamic range, it just
fools us who had loads of film experience, we have to learn new ways.
cheers
Frank