Subject: [Leica] st. Petersburg
From: jblack at ambio.net (John Black)
Date: Tue Jan 17 12:32:30 2006

> Everything was developed in Xtol 1+3 with
> 3g/L additional isoascorbate.  The main problem I experienced with these
was
> that try as I might, I cannot get Neopan 1600 to have adequate density or
> shadow detail when shot at 1600.

N1600, P3200 and Delta 3200 will never test out at the rated speed.  They
are all designed to be pushed sot hat the midtones can be elevated, but
that's all.  If you look at the literature, N1600 et al are made to be
developed to a CI of 0.60-0.70 or greater where normal film (Tri-X, N400,
TMX,Y etc) have and optimal CI of 0.50-0.55.  Higher CI means higher
contrast (read no shadows) while low CI means better or fuller shadows.
This is as applies to 35mm only as the situation changes dramatically with
larger formats.

BTW, where did you get the trick with adding more vitamin C? Normal 1+3 Xtol
would have 3g/L ascorbate so you doubled it without increasing the
dimezone-S any. PH might go down some (better grain, slower activity).

Reply off list if you wish as this seems to have no pixel content ;-)

JB

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] st. Petersburg)