Subject: [Leica] st. Petersburg now film speed and Xtol derivatives
From: deveney.marty at saugov.sa.gov.au (Deveney, Marty (PIRSA))
Date: Tue Jan 17 23:22:34 2006

I know all too well that Neopan 1600 isn't ISO 1600:
http://leica-users.org/v26/msg07247.html
I helped a friend process some Neopan 1600 he exposed at 1600 right before I
did these and it looked great.  It seems, however that it doesn't work for
me.  Different metering, probably.

I personally get the best results with TMZ, but I know different methods and
aesthetics like different things.

Many of the Neopan 400 photos were developed in Xtol 1+3 with more
s-dimezone and isoascorbate added, to bring the concentration of developing
agents to be the same as straight Xtol.  I also added a small amount of
hydroxide to bring the pH to the same as stock because the additional
ascorbate made the solution too acidic and slowed it down to glacial pace
(underdevelopment after 30 minutes).  I'd previously tried using more
metaborate, but trials showed the results were the same with a freshly mixed
sodium hydroxide solution, which is cheaper.  I also needed less.  I got
this idea from formulae 2-5 in the Xtol patent US Patent 5 853 964.  That's
here: http://tinyurl.com/7sqrj

It's basically straight Xtol with the sulfite of 1+3.  I call it 'Xtol
Plus'.  The developing times are about the same as straight Xtol but as
always, test.  In commercial settings, the developing times are probably
important.  I can't tell the difference between 12x16" prints from the
original 1+3 developer and the variant.  If anything, there may be slightly
greater overall contrast and slightly lower local contrast (Less than 0.1
CI) in the negs from 'Xtol Plus'.

I would have used PC-TEA, but the only source of triethanolamine I can find
in Australia is very expensive because the product is AR grade.

Replies: Reply from jblack at ambio.net (John Black) ([Leica] st. Petersburg now film speed and Xtol derivatives)