Subject: [Leica] Which one you prefer?
From: deveney.marty at saugov.sa.gov.au (Deveney, Marty (PIRSA))
Date: Wed Mar 1 21:59:54 2006

This is really interesting, because interpretation is paramount here.  I
have significant experience in editing photos professionally, but when there
is no particular purpose in mind for the photo, it essentially becomes
completely subjective again.

As they are I really like both, but prefer #2 - in #1the slight crop on the
bicycle wheel really bugs me for some reason.

Ted, respectfully, if you're referring to Doisneau's  "Le Baiser de l`Hotel
de Ville" when you refer to the Paris street kiss, it's hardly a standard to
judge all others by; many (including Doisneau himself [and me]) can't stand
it - toxically sentimental schmaltz, tinged with a hint of mass exposure.  I
would wallpaper my rooms with Ted Grant originals before I would ever let a
reproduction of that awful photo into my house - and I mean that as a sign
that just about every photo of yours that I've seen is 100% better than "Le
Baiser . . . "

I tend to agree with BD on the ambiguity.  Looking at the photo makes me
feel like I've been in the same situation in the past, maybe I have.

Marty

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Which one you prefer?)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Which one you prefer?)