Subject: [Leica] San Francisco
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Thu Jan 19 14:32:38 2006

Tina:

I was there last August and over 5 days shot 7 or 8 rolls of film and a
bunch of digital frames.  So far I've put up 8 images:
http://www.bobbaron.com/SFAug05/index.htm

<sigh>

The shots of the Golden Gate Bridge were taken from and near Fort Point,
which is under and next to the San Francisco end of the bridge.  I've
been to SF many times but had never been to these particular spots until
this trip, when I spent some time with my cousin, also a long time
photographer, who lives north of Oakland.  Alcatraz Island was
photographed from near Pier 39, which is very touristy but gives you a
clear view across the bay (if you go to Pier 39 and are hungry eat
upstairs at the old Eagle Cafe).  Clement Street is a polyglot of
interesting ethnicity, to me more so than Chinatown.  I had some great
dim sum there this last trip and I'll try to pull up the name of the
restaurant. Visual opportunities are never far in the Bay area. Do the
tourist things....Coit Tower, Washington Square, City Lights bookstore,
Alcatraz Island (with the guided sound tour).

My favorite seafood restaurant is Tadich Grill, seated at the counter.
Charcoaled petrale sole is what I order.  Others will vote for Sam's
Grill.  I personally prefer supper at Tadich and lunch at Sam's. This
last trip I also ate at a newish restaurant called Plouf (the sound a
stone makes dropping into a river in France I think they said); great
mussels dishes (in the financial district; eat at the long tables
outdoors under the heat lamps).  An afternoon trip can be the ferry to
Sausalito and an irish whiskey and/or lunch while you are there. For
good seafood and not awfully expensive in SF try the Hayes Street Grill.
(Also try their french fries and creme brulee.)

Its a great town to be a tourist in.  Have fun.  Relax.  Ride the cable
car.

I'll be interested to know how your new knees do on the hills.

<g>

--Bob

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] San Francisco)