Subject: [Leica] Fuji is sticking it out
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Thu Jan 19 17:12:35 2006

i interpret fuji's statement as something different, because the writing
is very specific in its articulation:

   Silver halide photography, which is fundamental to photography, has
   advantages over digital in such areas as power of expression, long
   term storage capability, reasonable prices, easy handling and a highly
   established and convenient photo development and print infrastructure.

   We intend to continue our silver halide photography business and to
   further cultivate the culture of photography, and in so doing,
   continue to support our customers and retailers and all those who
   enjoy photography.

whether they persevere or not in this mission, i cannot say.  however,
their choice of words such as "reasonable," "cultivate" and "support"
lend me some comfort, as contrasted with the death-knell terms
"strategic", "consolidation" and "opportunity."

-rei