Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - magnesium/metallurgy
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Jan 20 15:07:45 2006

Most of the corrosion resistant alloys form a very dense layer of
corrosion that protects the rest of the material. In stainless steel,
the only thing I know about except for inconel, the chromium that is
alloyed with the steel forms a very dense and almost impervious finish
to the surface of the material.

In nuclear power plants one would run the entire primary system at
operating temperature and pressures before the core was loaded in
order to firmly establish the oxidation layer. Inconel works the same
way that's an allow of nickle-chromium-iron (600 is the one I'm
familiar with).

Aluminum forms the same sort of layer as well, as I vaguely remember.
The more exotic light metals weren't good for power plant use and so I
don't know diddly about 'em. It's been decades since I worked in this
area though so take it all with the various grains of salt.

Adam