Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri Jan 20 15:30:58 2006

It is still marketing b*llocks.
Magnesium is not a good material for this purpose.
Aluminium, brass, stainless steel, even zinc and polycarbonate are OK
- magnesium will corrode. Even unplated aluminium cameras such as
FOCAs don't look too good nowadays compared to their painted brass or
chrome plated aluminium contemporaries. If anybody has a magnesium
camera and chips the paint off it in the way that is commonly seen as
"cool" on brass shelled Leicas it will be a mess of white powder and
blisters in no time.
Magnesium is of course much used in aerospace and motor sport but
ONLY where its weight is a benefit. It is NOT used because it is
strong - IT IS WEAK, it is not used for its resilience IT IS BRITTLE,
it is not used where corrosion could happen unless a robust coating
has been applied.
Magnesium is weak, brittle and prone to corrosion. Its only benefit
in cameras is a few grams weight saving and its cheapness to cast. It
has replaced titanium as the latest buzz word camera body material.
It is in no way as good as titanium for this purpose but many times
cheaper to manufacture for such an application.
Magnesium has been almost entirely replaced by composites in high
tech engineering nowadays.
If you must fall for the magnesium fashion take great care not to
scratch the paint down to the metal!
BTW it seems that the Zeiss Ikon camera is actually the latest in the
line of Cosina collaborations, after Voigtlander. Cosina changed
their plastic shelled "Voigtlanders" for metal shells which I am sure
feel heavier. In functionality there will be no gain even if they
feel a bit nicer.
Your quoting from the manufacturers propaganda - they would say that
wouldn't they?
Frank