Subject: [Leica] Konica Minolta to quit photo market - now Kodak staying in film
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Jan 20 17:44:39 2006

Seth,
Correct, two of the head positions at Kodak are outsiders.  Now, about the
four thousand upper and middle managers who report to these "outsiders".
You know, the folks who do the research, design, manufacturing, outsourcing,
etc.  Kodak is much larger than an aircraft carrier and I am not beating up
on the company to beat up on the company.  I am stating the facts as I see
them played out in the retail environment where Kodak's imaging products are
out of synch with the marketplace.  I can make no such comments about the
medical business or the other imaging business that Kodak engages in.

The public statements that I hear uttered by representatives at Kodak can be
interpreted as delusional.  For example, a recent comment was that the
margins were similar for the ribbon and paper in their kiosks were similar
to what they recieved for film.  This statement is correct as far as it
goes, but I don't believe that the kiosks are generating as many prints as
rolls lost.  Second, as the digital printers get better, more of the kiosk
business wil be done on by a digital printer instead of at the kiosk.  The
merchants who make these decisions would much prefer to print on something
whose variable cost is somewhere around 4 cents a 4X6 rather than something
whose variable cost is 20 cents.

My comments in their entirety made the comment that 1)Kodak no longer
dominates the market to the point that they can dictate film formats. 2)
Kodak no longer dominates the processing market such that they can create
new processing solutions or standards. 3) Kodak has no control over where
digital imaging will go or what standards will be set (witness their
partnership in the 4/3s system that only Olympus is currently actively
participating in) 4) Which brings me to the point that Kodak's leadership
will either really shake things up and get their ear to the ground so that
they can lead again or they will drift rather quickly into the Polaroid
model.  As a really large entity it is easy to believe that things will turn
around as you continue to lose market share, profit percentages, valuable
employees, and any real reason to be in a market.

I hope that the ship turns.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com