Subject: [Leica] WAS: Canon 30D? NOW: LEICA R8 & MOTOR. ; -) AND Better! ; -)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Jan 20 21:35:21 2006

Didier Ludwig offered:

> Swinging:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/40833360@N00/88346484/
>
> Tree:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/40833360@N00/88346485/
>
> Another tree:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/40833360@N00/88370952/
>
> Some snow:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/40833360@N00/88372963/

Didier mon ami,
What can I say but a very nice use of a 15mm lens as it's one of my all time
favourites.

> Swinging:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/40833360@N00/88346484/<<<

The action here is referred to by many of my comrades in sport arms as >>>>
"ted's Swishy Pans, because that's how he covers his ass from shaking the
400 or 560mm lens." ;-) Not true of course I still hold a long lens with
great, well OK I think I do.... reasonable strength. ;-)

I'd crop a slight bit off the right, maybe to the steel pole of the swing
rigging frame. I realize this cuts down the swinging motion as seen, but it
makes for a cleaner picture with more impact.

Actually this Swishy Pan action is wonderful  when shooting running or
walking folks, children or adults, when they move left to right or reverse
across your shooting path and you're panning the camera with them at...
"EXACTLY"  the same speed at about a 1/4 or 1/8th of a second. Blurs the
background beautifully.  But the moving object must still be recognizable,
other wise it beomes a throw away picture because the blurr is too great and
you can't understand what the photograph is.

This is something one should try on any number of moving subjects but
usually a fast walking human being will look quite interesting at 1/4 of a
second. This is a kind of starting shutter speed, from there you work your
method from this point.

> Tree:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/40833360@N00/88346485<<

OK a nice family happy snap. Nothing wrong with it as it's a nice photo for
the family.

> Another tree:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/40833360@N00/88370952/

I hate to say this with such an interesting photograph but you.... "TILTED
the camera down!" You should've bent your knees for your required burying
the sun behind a branch!

Bad move with a super wide lens! Look at the building? Wall? Whatever on the
right?

Nit picking?
Damn right, but that nit picking is what sorts out the great photographers
from the also rans!

And it doesn't take much to avoid it with a super wide lens. But you damn
well have to concentrate on little bitty things like this when using a 15mm
lens! Other wise you blow your efforts by a stupid little mistake not paying
attention to the little things of tilting up or down!

A suggestion.... when you work with a lens this wide and an external
viewfinder, use the external to line everything up just as you want. Then
lock your eye on the centre point and save it.

Now look through the M, whatever body you are using, look at the identical
centre spot, line up the internal edges vertically and horizontally with
whatever lines you can find in the scene. It wont be as wide as the 15mm
viewfinder with the internal M body viewfinder, then shoot! And it should be
100% perfect. ;-)

Look, it isn't easy to square away a 15mm hand held, but after a bit, well
OK a lot of shooting with it, it's a piece of cake!  I love it as it gives
the world a whole new visual meaning of beautiful images.... The whiners and
bitchers will carry on as usual, pay them no never mind for they know not
what they cry about, simply because they've never made the effort to learn
how to make beautiful 15mm photographs! :-)

Lets say, me? Since 1982-3? And that's on paid international assignments, so
I had to make it work and it paid off, period. Even in the medical OR's !
;-)  I would keep it before most other lenses, other than my Noctilux! :-)

ted

Message from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Canon 30D?)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Canon 30D?)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] WAS: Canon 30D? NOW: LEICA R8 & MOTOR. ;-))