Subject: [Leica] WAS: "Women In Medicine" by Ted Grant & Sandy Carter NOW: EXPOSURE
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jan 21 18:48:35 2006

Steve Ries offered and asked:
>I just got hold of the book "Women in Medicine" by Ted Grant & Sandy
>Carter.
>
>> As mentioned in an earlier thread Ted & Sandy used Ms and Rs for this
>> work.
> This book is full of really good photography. If you are reading this Ted,
> your photo on page 58 is "top drawer" in my opinion, not only
> photographically but also in how it grabs the emotion.

Hi Steve,
Sorry about the delay in answering your post.

Thank you for your very kind remarks about the photography. Lots of work,
well lots of time, as shooting isn't work, moving concrete blocks is work.
;-) Doing the book was organized fun! ;-)  :-)

> Ted, if you don't mind me asking how did you meter for light?<<<

When I used M6's it was easy, arrows go red shoot!  M7's are faster and more
accurate. I used 3 bodies at the same time all on AE Lock for the complete
shoot, my film use was about 400 rolls, Sandy another150 or so, she shooting
2 M6's. She shot in exactly the same fashion, red arrows light... click!

The M7's are incredible on AE Lock. Generally I worked a 35 1.4 Summilux,
the Noctilux f 1.0 and a 21 C-V  f 4.0 with external viewfinder. It was roll
after roll right on the mark.

My only relationship to any exposure was.... as long as the shutter speed
that flashed in the viewfinder was at least 1/15th I shot! Given the book is
all available light, the only kind. ;-) The selected aperture was usually
wide open or close to it. Never was there any thought about "looking at
shadow detail or other techie things" my only concern was capturing the
ultimate moment wherever I was shooting.

When the first M7 arrived at my office I set it to AE lock, walked around
the building shooting in as varying a light I could find, shot three rolls.
Souped them together, contacted printed and I couldn't believe how
consistent every frame was for correct exposure through out the 3 rolls.

We intended on printing the three full frame on 8X10 paper. However it
wasn't necessary.

The first neg we printed was to get as perfect a "straight print" without
burning or dodging to see how well the print looked. When we got one as
perfect as it could be, the remaining 35 frames of different locations and
lighting, were given exactly the same exposure time. Then  souped  all at
once.  :-) Yep, Sandy fired the exposed sheets of paper into a full 11X14
dev. tray as fast as she could while the soupee (me) flipped the prints
constantly for 1 1/2 minutes. Into stop bath, fix and wash.

Everyone was as perfect looking as they could be. So we didn't bother
printing the other two rolls and that's how I shot the book and never lost a
frame due to the camera selecting the shutter speed! :-) The camera's worked
like a dream, partially because I don't put a lot of mental stuff into
shooting, capturing the moment is and has always been my driving force.

Light-eyes-action shoot! ;-)

Love it! Jeeesh as I explained how it was done I got butterflies in my belly
and I'm near ready to load film and go shoot my grandson's basketball
championship game this evening on film.  Yeah right. ;-)

I may be hully-gully in the belly, but I'm not insane! ;-) Certainly after
seeing the results of 3200 colour with a Leicanon! ;-)

Steve I hope that answered your question. :-) And once again thanks for the
accolades.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road