Subject: [Leica] Konica Minolta to quit photo market - now Kodak staying in film
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Jan 24 12:01:07 2006

I know I am jumping into this a few days late, but what the heck...
I am sometimes amused about the way people here talk about Kodak, Fuji,
Agfa etc. One could get the impression that we expect those entities to
be charitable foundations dedicated to the preservation of traditional
(i.e. chemical) photography and that their decisions to discontinue this
or that product are all part of some sinister conspiracy directed at the
photography community.

As Seth points out, Kodak is a commercial enterprise, as are the other
companies. As such, it has to make money to stay in business. Kodak's
management is responsible to shareholders, employees, customers and
perhaps the larger community of Rochester. I am sure they would have
loved to continue Kodachrome 25 and all those other wonderful products
from the past. But the harsh reality is that the point came where sales
had sunk so low that even variable costs of production were no longer
covered by the revenues. Kodak's situation is made more difficult by the
fact that it, like other large US old-line companies, is supporting
legions of retirees and probably paying for their health care too. At
the end of the day it is this kind of financial imperatives and not
sentiments of product managers or a small minority of customers that
must guide a company's decisions.

On a much smaller scale, I am the general manager of a small company
with about 40 employees. My biggest responsibility is to make sure that
those 40 people get paid every month. Emotional attachment has little
relevance in that environment.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman