Subject: [Leica] RE: LUG Digest, Vol 31, Issue 218
From: jcyleung8 at shaw.ca (Joe Leung)
Date: Mon Jan 30 10:40:11 2006

Bill,

Ask them: http://www.ballard.com/

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+jcyleung8=shaw.ca@leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+jcyleung8=shaw.ca@leica-users.org]On Behalf Of Mattheis,
William G CIV
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 10:07 AM
To: lug@leica-users.org

Re:

On Jan 29, 2006, at 6:31 PM, Dennis Painter wrote:

> Economically viable energy sources may be here sooner than Detroit
> thinks.
> http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/

I often wonder where we will obtain the hydrogen required to power a fuel
cell.  The amount of energy in the universe is fixed.  We can only convert
it from one form to another.  What will we convert to hydrogen?  Water via
electrolysis seems to be a good answer, but that requires the input of
substantial amout of electrical power into the conversion process - - none
of which are 100% efficient (neither is the operation of a fuel cell).  So
we will lose energy in the hydrogen generation process, and we wiil lose
more in the conversion of hydrogen and oxyen to water and electricity in the
fuel cell - - very clean at the tail pipe, but a little short on efficiency
with two losses to consider.  We can have a very clean "system" if we
convert sunlight to generate hydrogen via hydrolysis to power the fuel cell,
but solar cells require lots of space, are extremely expensive and extremely
inefficient - - especially on cloudy days.  Oh, and you need lots of water
for local generatio!
 n.  So, while Phoenix, AZ would be an ideal locale to power solar cells,
water may be more scarce that oil as a source of power for cars.  Then there
is the issue of the energy that must be expended just to bottle (under very
high pressures) the hydrogen gas generated - - opps, there goes some more
energy expended.  Then, of course, we have to compressing air to collect and
bottle the oxygen needed by a fuel cell.  That will also require significant
amounts of energy to power - - where will that power come from??  Oh, last
best number I heard for solar cell conversion efficiency was about 18%, and
that is in the latest state of the art stuff.  I'd like to see the math that
suggests that fuel cells are/can be cost competitive with other sources in
the near (5 to 10 years) term.

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but while I can see the fuel
cell as one means of reducing car generated pollutants, it will not reduce
our overall use of energy - - just change the form in which we use it.  Of
course, if we can find a way to do a massive amount of hydrogen generation
other than the two viable (sort of) processes I am aware of (hydrolysis and
H+ ion stripping from existing hydrocarbons - - there is that oil and
natural gas thing again), then we will have a very clean AND EFFICIENT way
to do motor transportation.

My guess is that we could actually save more oil and reduce pollution faster
if we just did the work required to make internal combustion engines a lot
more efficient.  That just requires better heat management technologies like
ceramic or ceramic coated combustion chambers/exhaust management systems.
But then, that seems awfully hard when we could just replace piston driven
internal combustion engines with turbines that (1) run on most anything that
will burn, (2) do so with a lot fewer parts, (3) have very few repairs, (4)
are more efficient, and have (5) high operating tempertures that help with
exhaust issues (particularly unburned hydrocarbons).  Chrysler prototyped
such a car in the late 1950s/early 1960s (ran 100 test cars around the US
pretty successfully I believe - - except for some exhaust heat problems like
scorched paint on tailgating cars I think) - - so it can be done.  Plus, the
US Navy has clearly demonstrated that jet turbine power ships can be higher
effe!
 ctive and efficient, and future improvements using a turbine to power an
electric drive system are on their way.  Gas turbines are also great
recyclers.  They will burn anything from used peanut oil to fingernail
polish.  They will burn waste solvents, alcohol made from excess grain
crops, used oil, l

I guess the path we take depends on what we are trying to achieve, "save
oil" for the future, or have a cleaner environment by reducing the amount of
hydrocarbons we burn.  The bottom line is that there is no free lunch.
There is no such thing as "free energy."  We have to do "work" whether we
are freeing energy from sources where it is "latent" such as oil, coal,
hydorgen, etc., or converting it from one form, say sunlight, to another,
like electricity stored in a battery.  And, as far I know, that work, i.e.,
every conversion process I am aware of, has issues related to efficiency,
environmental impacts or other costs to society.

Of course, if we could just solve the problem of containing a fusion
reaction that we have spent zillions of dollars researching we will have
endless, non-poluting energy.  See, we have known the answer for a very long
time, we just haven't solved the technical problems yet.

bill