Subject: [Leica] RE: LUG Digest, Vol 31, Issue 218
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon Jan 30 13:12:29 2006

I'm a big fan of the hydrogen economy for several reasons - many of
which you casually nay-say.

Solar-electric production is inefficient - but getting remarkably less
so. Some serious money is going into fab facilities for solar cells
and substantial research has already pushed up solar cell
efficiencies. The total available roof-top acerage in sun-friendly
areas is quite vast. And the energy isn't "local". That is energy
produced in Phoenix doesn't have to STAY in Phoenix - we have this
thing called the electrical grid that is very efficient at pushing
power all over including places where there's a lot of water.

Gas turbines are interesting but they suffer from all sorts of
difficulties in cars. Naval vessels seldom require the kind of sprint
capacity that a car has to produce. Without intermediate
energy-storage to provide for sprint capacity a turbine-powered car is
gonna be a DOG. You only have to wait for a turbo-charger to spool up
in a conventional engine to experience this. And efficient naval
electric propulsion is tied to high temperature (relatively)
superconductors. I don't see many people wanting to top off on liquid
nitrogen in addition to fuel.

For the United State we need first EFFICIENCY for our existing
gasoline-based transportation system and we need to divorce ourselves
from the petro-chemical engines we've been reliant on for so long. The
environment world-wide is already suffering and it's going to get
worse.

Unfortunately I don't see and US government having the courage or
insight to guide the auto makers into changing.

I don't believe I'll see even scientific break-even in fusion plant in
my life-time let alone a full-scale fusion plant. I'm still a friend
of fission plants - the new technologies are vastly safer than designs
of 30-40 years ago - but I think nuclear in the United States is dead.
People are afraid of anything technical and the anti-nuclear forces
shout LOUDLY even if they are shouting FUD most of the time (at best.)

Probably this summer we'll take advantage of the new California
incentive and put solar panels on as much of our roof as we can. We'd
do the same in Arizona but it's not cost effective down there yet -
Arizona LIVES in a myth about water, energy and pollution that is
frightening. It's like everything is free even though they continue to
be in a serious drought that, if historical trends are to be
considered, might only be the beginning of a 50 year-long drought or
longer.

Adam Bridge