Subject: [Leica] Photos at Logan
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu Feb 2 09:03:37 2006

I flew out of Logan yesterday. The photo exhibit in one of the terminal
connection corridors was being changed. A collection of recent
photographs was being replaced by an historical exhibition. The process
was half completed.

As I took a moment to look I was struck by several things. The recent
images had a wide collection of frames and mattes. Some were good. Some
were not good. The display method impacted each images positively and
negatively. It reminded me that presentation is extremely important.

The historical images lacked the technical quality of the recent images.
For instance, highlight were blown out, shadow detail was lacking, and
they didn't' have that crisp digital look. But, overall these
"technically lacking" prints were far more powerful and interesting.

All the historical images originated on film, I assume. The actual
prints looked newly printed. I don't know if they were chemical or
digital, but the blacks were exceptional. They were framed well,
beautiful, and very engrossing.

So much goes into making a good photograph. And it's easy to get
distracted by the wrong things.

Photography has changed over the years. Maybe it's not all for the
better.

Final note to self....I've been spending too much time looking at
pictures on computers, and not enough time seeking out print
exhibitions. There's nothing like viewing a good print.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Photos at Logan)