Subject: [Leica] Photos at Logan
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Thu Feb 2 12:58:31 2006

Dave - Your comments remind me of the classic argument among
audiophiles regarding the "harsh" and "brittle" sound of CDs vs.
vinyl and I think there's something to it.  The rougher approximation
of reality by less than perfect media lets the listener/viewer bring
something of themselves to the hearing/viewing of the art.

CDs have gotten better over the years and I know that one of the
changes made was to add just a bit of noise, at the one-or two-bit
level, to the recording process - to degrade the sense of cold
perfection they were inducing, I suspect.

Charles Osgood usually signs off his broadcasts with "I'll see you on
the radio."  When asked about it he said it came about when he asked
his son whether radio of TV was better.  They had been listening to a
radio drama.  The kid answered "Radio."  Why?  "Because the pictures
are better."  Imagination plays a big role in our enjoyment of art.*

There are other factors.  Nostalgia for one, the tendency for certain
kinds of old photos to become iconic, for another, but imagination is
vital, I think.

Regards,

Dick
Boston MA

*Apologies if you've heard this one before.  It's a fairly familiar
story in some quarters.