Subject: [Leica] A lighthouse in a totally different county
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun Feb 5 16:23:15 2006

There are in fact other places not quite as beautiful as Lancashire and
Yorkshire, but Northumberland gets pretty close.

I dug this classical lighthouse out from a pile of stuff dating back to
the mid 1960's to the early 70s - not too sure. but I think it was taken
with a Kodak Retina IIc RF with a 35mm Curtar-Xenon, one of those front
element lenses which makes the Retinas so wonderfully hard to use, focus
with the rangefinder, read off the distance, turn the camera upside down
and transfer the distance to one of the other two distance scales (for
35 and 80mm).
The film is definitely AGFA 200 (RS200?). I was also very surprised that
the colours kept so well, the last 25 years or so it was in a box in a
damp cellar, some Kodak and Fuji slides didn't keep so well at all.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Ships-and-Boats/IMG003

This is St Mary's Lighthouse at Whitley Bay, just up the coast from
Newcastle. Apart from the lighthouse there is an amusement park here
called "Spanish City", which was sung about by Dire Straits (the
Knopfler brothers were born here, and Sting's brother has a beachside
bar here too).
The famous American artist Winslow Homer painted many wonderful pictures
of this stretch of coast (Cullercoats) too.

I'm still sorting through some other stuff and racking my memory to find
out when, and where they were taken - there may be more to come.
Douglas

Replies: Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] A lighthouse in a totally different county)
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] A lighthouse in a totally different county)