Subject: [Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Feb 5 18:27:40 2006

Tina Manley offered:
>> "This was no grab shot, no stolen moment.
> The image was planned and set up right down to the use of supplemental
> flash. Like any good environmental "portrait," this potent picture was an
> effective collaboration, a visual dialogue [.] between subject and
> photographer." <<<

Tine
Oh you darlin', :-) thanks a bunch because so many people think Gene walked
around and shot as many of us do with what the light is as we find it.

Gene Smith was a master "at lighting.", this takes nothing away from his
ability as a photographer, but he was the master of using whatever "lights
were available" to make his pictures as he imagined them to look.

In other words many of his photographs were "set-up" in a photojournalistic
looking fashion. But that's OK because that was his style of working, so he
became very famous because of his style and one might say his
idiosyncrasies.

As the above explains.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited