Subject: [Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Feb 6 11:03:33 2006

Aaron Sandler offered:
>>in the end you can make your photos because of the
> way you relate to your subjects, including the vital part that you invest
> a *week* or more sitting in the corner until you're just part of the scene
> to the families.  It's very similar to the way Doug Herr describes his
> wildlife photography process or Ted describes trying to stay unobtrusive
> while shooting in a medical setting.<<<<

Hi Aaron,
It's an ability some folks have to sit quiet, move little and still be
photographing the actions or non-actions going on, yet without appearing to
have taken any pictures. But come away with absolutely stunning naturally
looking photographs.

In my case I've had to shoot during a meeting of executives with the Prime
Minister, capture facial expressions, hand motions while a point was being
made and or any number of little nuances happening during the meeting.

Doing all without disturbing anyone nor drawing attention to myself as a
photographer. Piece of cake when you learn some of the tricks. ;-)

1/
You must be in the room and in your position before anyone else is there of
any importance.

2/
You select your position where you'll sit to make use of the best light for
the main players. No you do not stand like a statue and walk about because
you'll be asked to leave, you become a "visual moving distraction!" Not only
do you sit but you don't fidget around. Your 3 or 4 cameras are loaded with
new rolls and ready to go with basic exposures set. Other rolls are out of
the canisters in a shirt or jacket pocket for easy access when re-loading.

3/
As people arrive you sit quietly and it's absolutely essential you are in
place before they arrive because when they do and see "some guy with
cameras" most of the time they think "press? what the hell's he doing in
here?" If you personally know anyone as they enter a nod of the head in
recognition is all that's necessary, keep your mouth shut unless addressed,
then answer quickly & quietly. The least of this the better! Remember you
are the recorder not attending the meeting. Some guys can't keep their mouth
shut if they were at they're own funeral. You just remember to keep yours
shut in this kind of situation.

Once everyone is in place look for empty chairs around the periphery of the
room where you might need to move to during the session. Providing it can be
done without anyone realizing you've changed position. HOW? ;-) Piece of
cake! ;-)

4/
When you want to move, "You must know exactly where you're going!" That is
before you even stand up! Don't stand up and start looking for some place
because the meeting, those sitting around a big table, who are facing in
your direction, you'll distract, they'll look at you, that inturn distracts
those who do not see you, they'll turn their heads looking at who the others
are looking at! It's a natural Mother Nature action of curiosity!

You may get away with it "once!" Don't press your luck a second time.

5/
Now you know where you're going, you wait for a speaker to draw all eye
attention away from where you are, get up walk smoothly to your new chair
sit down.... do nothing but sit there. Any movement on your part will draw
attention because now you're in a new position for people who would normally
only have seen a wall and empty chairs.

Sitting still allows them to see something new without being distracted.

6/
If at all possible make only one move during the meeting because if you
think you can move all over without sooner or later being turfed out the
door you're sadly mistaken. Maybe the PTA meeting you'd get away with it,
but not likely board meetings and others of VIP nature.

Anyway there you go it's "the invisible photog routine." ;-)

If one relates well to others as we know Tina does through her photography
of being there, but not. :-) Doug Herr with his wonderful instincts for
photographing wildlife. And no matter how astute the wildlife is, Doug has
the true magic of being there and not being there with the wildlife, as Tina
with humans.

I'm not sure some of you folks got anything out of this or understand what
our kind of photography is about at times, but it's far more than the gear
and far more about how we re-act to other humans and critters. Most
importantly? How we carry ourselves while we're working.

Is it something you can learn, yes I believe so, but it sure as heck takes
lots of practice.

ted

Replies: Reply from aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler) ([Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?)
Message from aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler) ([Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?)