Subject: [Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Feb 8 07:40:45 2006

Scott empathized:

>>I'm in the software biz, and I can certainly relate to your
concerns.<<

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't help but think there's plenty of noise
reduction functionality in PS. i.e the code is there. All that's lacking
is a good user interface.

I know that sometimes building a UI is a bigger challenge than coding
algorithms to actually do the work. So a third party builds the UI. Now
it's a different look and feel, and we have to deal with another vendor.

In terms of functionality, I've often found that some things that seem
almost magical are in reality based on very basic principles. My concept
of noise management is that you take a given block of data and you make
it more uniform. It's easy to do that on the side panel of a yellow car
that's uniformly lit. But it's not so easy in areas where there may be
subtle shading or color variations that you want to maintain. Most
challenging might be a mixture of the two. Thus needing a flexible UI.

I suppose in an ideal world you'd build an app that would take into
account the capture device (which I think Noise Ninja and Neat Image may
do). So why doesn't Nikon Capture have better NR capability for Nikon
cameras.

Maybe the day will come when there's a PS version for each brand of
camera. Adobe could even follow Leica's sales model and for Leica DMR or
DM offer a limited edition specially engraved CD, and package it in a
finely crafted hardwood presentation case :-).

DaveR

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.)