Subject: [Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Feb 8 08:24:08 2006

After watching the CS2 Adobe Bridge demo as it pertains to RAW capture and
Photoshop, I decided to have a go at it.

I opened a folder with CR2 files and see nothing but CR2 generic icons. As
in no thumbnails. Curious, as they had been visible only days before. Then,
I read the message that the beta version of 3.3whatever RAW plug-in for
Canon 5D had expired and that I needed to install the for-real 3.3whatever
plug-in. I did so. Still no CR2 thumbnails. CRW thumbnails (Canon 20D), yes.
Hmm. Back through the process, again. Reboot. Again. Still nothing. I try
the recommended cache purge. Twice. Still nothing. Call support's number.
"We're closed, cupcake; call back tomorrow."

So, I checked out the Photoshop CS2 download list again. "DNG and RAW
3.3whatever." I see no need for DNG, but what the heck, maybe that's it. So,
through the whole process I go again. Nope.

Back to the download list. Well, there IS an update for Adobe Bridge from
way back in Oct. 2005, I believe. But I ordered CS2 on Dec. 31, 2005, so
that fix should have been incorporated in my CDs. I check affected/afflicted
version numbers anyway. Sho' nuff. I'm afflicted.

It's a 30-some MB download, so I get it underway and set to watching what I
hope is the final "Hey, I'm a dead guy so boink me" Michael J. Fox episode
of "Boston Legal." I applaud as he bravely wonky-walks away to "die in the
woods of St. Moritz" like an old dog that repairs to the woods to die. Away
from the pack. And the people who love him so dearly. Beat me with a
ham-fisted cliche.

But, I have my own pain to deal with. I install the new and improved Adobe
Bridge. CR2 thumbnails are now visible. So, Michael J.'s character has gone
to the hereafter (I pray) and Adobe Bridge works in the here and now.
There's symmetry in that.

So, David, aside from the agony of needing app after app, there's the insult
of buying a software suite, directly from the Adobe Store by the way, and
getting apps that are months out-of-date.

But, I'm sure they do it all for us.

Chris Lawson

From: "David Rodgers" <drodgers@casefarms.com>

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.)