Subject: Digital FAQ was: Re: [Leica] Tina and Digital (was, Enlarger
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Wed Feb 8 13:53:13 2006

David Rodgers wrote:

> Jonathan wrote:
>
>>> Basically different films, monitors, scanners, printers, inks and
> papers have slight differences in how they respond to and render
> colors. A "profile" is a method to quantitate this.<<
>
> They still have one variable to quantify.
>
> I'll never forget the time -- long before digital -- when I showed
> wedding photographs to a Mom and her daughter. The mom said, "That
> dress
> looks too yellow!" The daughter replied emphatically, "No Mom! It
> doesn't look yellow enough." And it didn't stop there.
>
> The daughter's color profile must have been downloaded from her
> father.

Ah... you aren't sufficiently compulsive! :-))

You might have held up the photo to the actual dress -- and if you
were sufficiently compulsive you'd do this in tungsten and/or
daylight and see how the printed color matches the actual cloth.

In all seriousness, when clothes catalogues are printed, there are
said to be swatches of fabric at the *printers*.

Jonathan