Subject: [Leica] a short story
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Feb 8 15:22:02 2006

James Ting offered:
>>Between vision and technique, I'd vote for vision as the more significant
>>part, and trying to establish a unique vision has probably been the
>>toughest challenge in my photographic life.<<<

Hi James,
Like yourself I believe vision is absolutely number one. It doesn't
necessarily come from the eyes, far more from what we feel in our heart or
gut on a given day.

That's why some photographer's can be as hot as a firecracker one day with
almost every photograph they capture is stunning. The next day they couldn't
capture a moment with feeling, if it was hitting them over the head.

They're "vision dead!"  It's like being an actor or writer, excellent one
performance, terrible the next. The writer has the mental block and can't
put two words together to save his life.

Some people are blessed with "vision" as a God given gift and produce
wonderful photographs without any effort, where others can't see their feet
for looking.

Some folks never attain it in a life time, they see things but not the
vision to truly see the nuance of the country side, people, the sunset with
vision.

If you like, one might refer to it as a "style" of shooting, something we
recognize in the photography from the greats of history. I don't believe one
can establish vision because it isn't something you can create by numbers,
you either have it, find it during your walk through life and eventually it
appears in your photography.

Like I said, "some folks have the gift of vision."

ted

Replies: Reply from james at tingphoto.com (James Ting) ([Leica] a short story)