From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Feb 8 23:36:22 2006

Scott,

Sometimes I get off-topic, most recently about the peppars.

But when it comes right down to it ... I don't enjoy talking about
photography. That is kind of a paradox. Here I am on a photography
list, a written communication list, but I really don't get much out of
discussing photography. I get sick of the conventional wisdom about
doing it this way, agitating that way, regurgitating another way.
There is so much of that, that some 18 year old kid has read in a
glossy photo magazine and spews up again as if it was acquired
knowledge from 30 years experience. I can tell decades of experience
when I run across it, and there are quite a few members on this list
with that experience. I enjoy their sharing of it. I suspose I am one
of them as well. I think I processes my first roll of film 40 years
ago this year, might have been last year.

On the other hand I am like a kid in a candy store when it comes to
taking pictures, sharing pictures and looking at others' pictures. It
is an aesthetic experience that I find difficult (and of a
low-priority) to express in words.

But that's me.

I'm sure if you want to take up generic photographic subjects no one
would object. It has happened before on this list and there are
compentent participants. But I think it would be hard to narrow down a
list to only that subject matter.

Ehhhh ... just go out and read the master, Susan Sonntag :-) :-) :-)

Daniel