Subject: [Leica] More 15mm Shots
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Feb 10 15:55:19 2006

At 4:12 PM -0500 2/10/06, Richard S. Taylor wrote:
>James - I haven't tried to shoot a brick wall yet.  I do know that
>there is quite a bit of stretching near the edges of the frame and
>it's best to keep recognizable objects (e.g., faces) away from
>there, or be prepared to frame loosely and crop a bit off.
>
>B.T.W. I really enjoyed your first posts especially since so many of
>them used a wide angle lens so effectively and I'm playing with the
>15 at the moment.  Keep 'em coming and welcome.
>
>Dick
>Boston MA
>
>>Nice shots, Dick.  I never had a chance to use the 15mm.  It looks like the
>>distortion isn't as pronounced as I would have thought.  If you shot a flat
>>surface, such as a brick wall, straight-on, do you see much distortion?
>>
>>Best,
>>James

None of the VC lenses have much distortion, but there is a very
slight bit; just enough that you can tell a shot with a 21 SA from a
shot with a 21 Skopar if there are straight lines near the edge. The
15 and 12 have similar levels of distortion. If you did shoot a brick
wall after setting up everything correctly the amount of distortion
you see would probably be 1/2 due to the lens and 1/2 due to the
mason/bricklayer. The lens is that good.

The 21 non-ASPH Elmarit has more distortion, and the ASPH very
slightly more than the 21 Skopar.

ALL slr lenses in this range that I have ever tried have more
distortion than the Skopar or 21 ASPH, or the 15 VC. I've not tried
the current 19 Elmarit or 15/2.8.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design