Subject: [Leica] More 15mm Shots
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Feb 9 15:42:41 2006

Richard S. Taylor said and showed:
> > Route 128 Railway Station, Boston:
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/NYC/1_08A_0039_web
> > Connecticut Highway
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/NYC/2_35A_0103_web
> > Randall's Island NYC
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/NYC/3_06_0006_web

> This is a tough lens to make work.  These are the only three pictures that
> I feel worked from almost three rolls of film I shot with the Heliar the
> during a recent trip to New York City.  I did lose a lot from flare and
> reflections shooting into the sun and through train windows, though - got
> to learn to watch out for that.<<<<

Hi Dick,
Well train windows with any lens is a toughie. But definitely I'd have shot
it all in colour, because it's far more effective than B&W for this kind of
swishy pans from trains.

Trust me after a train ride from the NATO airbase at Geilenkirchen, Germany
to Paris and back a week later I learned more about shooting colour from a
moving train/vehicle than any time in my life. ;-) Colour is the only way to
go in this kind of situation.

To my sorrow shooting B&W for an hour toward Paris, I blew it all because
there isn't enough contrast to be effective. Gray blurs just don't cut it!!!
Don't even think about it!

This really is a time for colour to get the best swish effect. And be
prepared to "blow a pile of film" because no matter how good you get at
swishy-pans you never have any idea how good or bad they are until they're
on the light table or screen. :-)

> They were all taken before I had so much good advice from Ted, too. Maybe
> I'll chuck it on the ol' M7 again this weekend and see if I can't get my
> hit rate up.  But then, I've now got a 40mm f1.4 Nocton to play with,
> too, - hmmm.... what to do, what to do...;-)<<<<

Thank you. Hopefully I can still be of help. ;-)

So now you have a 15mm and a 40mm..creating >> "hmmm.... what to do, what to
do.."<<<

Well obviously the KISS answer to your quandary is quite simple ..... buy
another M7! ;-) See how easy that was? Solved! ;-) Then you can work both
lenses at the same time. ;-)

Your welcome, glad to have been a help. ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] More 15mm Shots)