Subject: [Leica] OT: world press winners 2006
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Feb 11 07:57:04 2006

I must confess to being a bit jaded. The World Press winner is
invariably some image from the misery du jour, whether a war or natural
disaster or (as in this case) a famine. I heard an interview with the
chairman of the outfit yesterday, and he very much sounded like
photographic excellence plays only a minor part in the selection of the
overall winner. The selection committee's desire to highlight this or
that tragedy is much more important.

To me this is also clear when looking at the images on the site--several
of the images in the sports category or the other "non-hard news"
categories are definitely superior (in a photographic sense) to the
winning image.

Nathan