Subject: [Leica] Re: world press winners 2006
From: puff11 at comcast.net (Norm Aubin)
Date: Sat Feb 11 19:31:07 2006

B.D. et.al. -

In defense of those upstart ignorant youngsters - as the parent of two
20-somethings, I'd not like to compete with them in techno-wizardry at any
time - they know what a RIP is, what a computer can and can't do, know more
about current music and the arts than I did 30 years ago, and in their
world, with their interests, they can stack up mighty fine against people
who are still looking back to find definition in their lives.  I've seen
these guys do things with the cars made by Japan that scare me - it's a
bloody octopus garden under the hood, and they get in there and do things
that simply amaze!

While I agree with the statement that a people who have no knowledge of
their past have no future; I also think that this is a learned thing, one
does not come into this world and by age 20-something revere the past.  One
learns the value of the past as one starts to try and understand the present
and the future.  Maturity has a lot to do with this desire to learn and
understand.

I'm curious, your questioning seemed geared to eliminating those who already
lacked knowledge, rather than those who lacked potential or curiosity and
ability - what reasoning lies behind this.  I ask because while I have
taught before, it was not in the formal academic environment.  I have had to
eliminate students in the past too, for safety reasons, so I'm curious as to
what reasoning you applied.

Best of light,
Norm