Subject: [Leica] Photo: Love in a time of wind chimes
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Feb 13 12:27:16 2006

Adam Bridge showed:

>> Taken in front of the UC Davis memorial union:
>> <http://www.adambridge.com/Photos/2006/02/12/LoveChimes.jpg>
>> These wind chimes were really tuned up as I took this - we had a north
>>wind blowing, not too strong but enough to set them off.<<<

Adam,
This is a classic example of "your hearing and re-acting to sound" without
re-acting enough to the visual effect. You are to some degree, but your
mentally and emotionally reading more into the situation than what you've
made into a successful photograph. Simply because of the tinkling sounds on
a pleasant day. And rarely does sound itself make a picture.   WHY?
Because we're in "Silent pictures mode." ;-)

Trust me, you are not alone in doing this because all of us have or will be
affected in this manner at some time when taking pictures. I've done it more
than once, unfortunately it didn't work either. ;-)

Putting aside the fact we don't know these are wind chimes other than you
telling us, it's very difficult to make out what they are. Possibly a closer
angle would've helped showing them as hanging loose. And if there was
sufficient movement, maybe a slow shutter speed allowing them to blur as
they swung in the breeze? The couple on the other hand would have to stay
still framed through the chimes.

I also realize the couple were a moving target, therefore eye catching and
you re-acted to there movement. But again they're very nearly lost tucked in
behind the chimes. Wider angle lens and them framed through the chimes up
closer.

You're reacting to all the right elements, I just don't feel you put them
together strong enough. And this comes as much from experience to make it
effective than coming off the top of your mind.

Tighter, better framing of the couple, that is if this were a controlled
situation. In other words the couple were there at your bidding while you
had time to move about for better composition and expression. I think
there's potential for a smashing good photo.

However, in this state it just doesn't cut it.  So your home work project
is?...

Go re-shoot it more effectively even if the chimes are silent! ;-) But make
sure you have a lusty looking couple under your direction. ;-0 Then work it
to death with all kinds of angles. Don't forget it's still silent stills.
;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Photo: Love in a time of wind chimes)