Subject: [Leica] Ballet Tryout Submission Photos
From: mvolo at acpub.duke.edu (Michael Volow)
Date: Tue Feb 14 20:39:28 2006

First, they are lovely, well composed, sensitive photos with beautiful
tonality (and a lovely subject).

Am I correct in assuming that these are primarily full-length portraits
posed in front of a seamless backdrop (no floor/wall horizon)?  I'm sure you
have also taken shots of her dancing as well; and if so we might enjoy to
see some of these.

It's quite challanging to take interesting, unposed shots of actual
performance. Unless you know the choreography, it takes a motor or burst
mode to capture the right moment, in advantageous lighting. Flash gives
technically good photos but often of the wrong moment, and often looks
harsh. I haven't taken ballet but have encountered these challanges  with
ballroom dance photography.