Subject: [Leica] Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 (long and silly)
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu Feb 16 12:42:04 2006

Mark,

You're killin' me!

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Rabiner [mailto:mark@rabinergroup.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:41 PM
To: Leica Users Group

The new Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 with the lens which says "Leica DC
Vario-Elmarit" on it is the smallest 10x zoom camera made and its press
thing was released today 4 hours ago on the dpreview site and somewhere else
too.
Its a real small pocket camera which zooms right into equivalent in 35mm
terms to 350mm. 35-350mm.

If this came out in the early 60's it would be called a "girl watcher"
camera. Like the long cheep telephoto they used to sell in the back of the
pop photography. I'd think Q would want Bond to have one. And the military
would not one in the pocket of anyone within a mile or more of any military
base.

But would be great for getting a show of a Blue Herron or get a nice shot of
the full moon with a little cropping,

But most awesome thing about this amazingly innovated machine is the first
sighting of the "Venus Engine III"
    in a functioning machine of any kind.

 "Oh, the Venus Engine III!. We found that on the alien planet. We don?t
know what it does, either."
"Well, why don?t you just turn it on and see what it does? "
(The Panasonic engineers emit shrill screeches and nervous laughter.)
"It has at its heart a reactor capable of unthinkable energy. If we were
mistaken in our construction, the device would act as a molecular explosive,
causing a chain reaction that would obliterate all matter in the universe.

No one knows what will happen when someone gives the order:
ACTIVATE THE VENUS ENGINE III.

Some think it will time expose 3 "III" minutes into the past.
No ones had that feature yet. They've had the anti shake feature for
controlling the mirror during time exposures, but not time exposures going
backwards.  I mean they ARE called "time exposures" that what I thought they
were in the first place.

You'd figure with the revolutionary "Rear curtain" flash exposures it would
be the very next thing.
But capturing say a man running backwards in time do you want the blur in
front of him or behind him? I'd say both sides had a point in this argument.
You may need that Rear Curtain sync again,
And a UV filter with the coating on the inside,

Examining the picture you'll see what happened (a bit blurry though) three
minutes ago. 3 to 6 minutes ago.
And though only 3 minutes into the past may not seem like much...
It's enough getting a quick glance into something you just pretty much
missed,

There is no "Decisive Moment" anticipation required.

You saw the shot.
Liked it, then got it.
Great for those people with slower reflexes and limited foresight,
Vision, forethought,

Just "Decisive Hindsight|.

Me all I even need is a ten second delay.
When they come out with that they got my money,
I need warning.
time to rephrase or better yet:
Opt out,

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06021405panasonictz1.asp

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
Soon to be residing in the Greater New York Metropolitan area.
ON an never ending battle for TRUTH! JUSTICE! ...