Subject: [Leica] Question on 3, 5-3, 5 cm Elmar chrome, uncoated, pre-war lens
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Feb 17 06:29:17 2006

Bill,
>From your header I am assuming you are asking about the 5cm F3.5 Elmar.  It
is a Tessar knock off so very few air/glass surfaces.  If otherwise the lens
is in good condition you will be quite happy with it.  Standard comments
apply to older designs: good definition in the central 6-10mm dropping off
to the edges, contrast will be noticably less than current designs and flare
will be somewhat higher.

Stopped down to 5.6 there will be little to not like, especially if you have
control over contrast in developing or post processing.  In short, if what
you want is a "classic look" then this is one of the lenses that will do
that quite nicely.

If you were asking about the 35mm Elmar, then this is more of a collectors
lens than a good user.  For a "classic look" at the 35mm focal length then I
would look to the 35mm Summaron, the 35 Biogon and it's clones, or one of
the early 35mm Serenars.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com