Subject: [Leica] Re: Here it is! - the R8/R9 electronic cord release pin diagram.
From: faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman)
Date: Fri Feb 17 19:55:28 2006

OK everybody, I did some late evening tinkering.

The Leica Diagram indicates:
   Shorting pins 1+8 wakes up the camera (also turns on DMR)
   Shorting pins 1+2 firescamera.
The official Leica cord is a dual action switch. By pressing it lightly, you
short pins 1+8. Full depress shorts 1+2 to fire the shutter.

 So... I inserted the plug into my DMR release socket and tried shorting the
pins with the tip of a small screwdriver
(Damn -  that sounds scary..)

If you short pins 2+8 , adding pin 1 to the combo can fire the camera - or
if the camera is asleep, it will turn it on. Basicaly reduces a dual action
switch to a single action. This is my goal as I want to attach it to a
pocket wizard receiver.

Even more interesting - shorting pins 2 and 3 does the exact same thing. You
don't need pins 8 or 1.
This may just be a DMR thing. Not sure about the motor winder/drive.

Eric

PS - Yes, I am taking a few risks here. Reader beware. Tinkering with a DMR
can end in tears, screaming or, likely, both.