Subject: [Leica] re: silver vs pixels
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Tue Feb 21 11:24:53 2006

I'll have to say, just judging from the $$ I choose to lay
down for various photographers' books, I find I'm drawn to
the "making" vs. "taking" kind of photographers.

In other words, as a relative newbie, it's occuring to me that
much of the beauty in the prints I seem to most enjoy is
as much, or more, a creation of darkroom artistry than at
the moment of exposure or "capture."

And when I analyze it, why should this not be the case? It
seems quite natural.  It's sort of the phenomenology of the
photographer at the moment of snapping the shutter vs. the
phenomenology of the viewer standing before and looking
at a final print.

While both are significant, if one consentrantes on the latter, as
I would think appropriate, then one will naturally be drawn to
whatever darkroom/lightroom artistry it takes to most "satisfy"
the viewer of the final print, or to most effectively convey one's
message to the viewer, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35