Subject: [Leica] Early 50 Summilux
From: eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi)
Date: Wed Feb 22 04:55:18 2006

Congratulations, you got one of the rarest Leica M lenses (worth
perhaps a hefty amount of $?). Almost all original (ie 1960's, not
the later commemorative reissues) denominated "black paint" 50mm
Summicron/lux and Summicron 90mm were a mix of black enamel and black
anodized parts. I do not know if also the 35mm were this fashion, as
I have never had one.

As to the manufacturing year, do not believe blindly in Leitz serial
number lists. I have had two early (chrome) Summilux 50mm whose
serial numbers preceded theoretically by one year the official market
launch date. There were ranges of serial numbers that weren't used
immediately and then reassigned to a later piece of production.

best

Ed Albesi

El 22/02/2006, a las 06:51, Lucien vD escribi?:

John,

AFAIK, the Summilux and the Summicron 50mm were never fully black
painted. The focusing ring was always black chromed (or anodized).

Only the recent black painted 50mm were fully black painted (since
2000).

Lucien

Le 21 f?vr. 2006 ? 19:57, John Black a ?crit :