Subject: C-41 Processing [was Re: [Leica] Random evil thoughts]
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Feb 22 17:07:33 2006

Scott,
Your question gets to the heart of my question.  In small towns I think that
the closing of minilabs will happen sooner than later.  You will still be
able to get your digital capture printed, but C-41 films will have to be
farmed out probably to Kodak.  In a more urban environment, I believe that
the current density of labs will thin out quite a bit.  Here in Atlanta
where I live you probably could hit a C-41 machine every half mile on
average; however, I don't see much film hanging.  Plenty of digital prints
but not a lot of film.

I suspect that in the rural and very suburban enviromments, those labs that
have figured out new strategies to survive such as wedding, portrait,
retouching, restoration, novelties, scrapbooking, studio, custom printing,
digital printing will look at the time and expense of keeping the C-41 up
and running and at some point will decide to scrap the beast.

I also suspect that the drug store lab will morph into your digital print
center and will lose the C-41 machine as well.  For drug stores and even
Wal-Mart the print business is a lure to get people in the store.  Once a
customer graces the front door, they are almost guarenteed a $50 basket at
the check out counter.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com