Subject: [Leica] more portraits: americans and their firearms
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Feb 25 20:02:03 2006

Kyle Cassidy showed and asked:
> not sure which one i should use. so i submit, to your expertise and
> critical
> shredding, kit and ivy (and autum the dog) who live on a farm in new
> jersey:
>> http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/ago/ivy/ivy5.jpg<<<

Hi Kyle,
yer away to the races with a winner! :-)

I see Douglas Sharp has suggested:
>>>keep them in their front rooms or kitchens, that's what makes them
something that anyone can relate/react  to.It's the slightly surreal and
totally contradictory atmosphere of perfectly normal (heavily armed)
people in a familiar homely context that makes the shots so good.
sort of "Hey, come round for a coffee and some cookies, and don't forget
to bring a couple of grenades and a 6 inch mortar"<<<<

Absolutely!!!!!!!! As soon as I opened your post and looked at the first
frame,
>> http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/ago/ivy/ivy5.jpg<<<
I knew it was the one right off before I opened the others.

As Doug says...
>>>keep them in their front rooms or kitchens, that's what makes them
something that anyone can relate/react  to.It's the slightly surreal and
totally contradictory atmosphere of perfectly normal (heavily armed)
people in a familiar homely context that makes the shots so good.<<<

And Doug is right on the mark!! :-)

This project to be successful not only requires the talent of a fine
photographer like yourself, it requires the consistency of location! And the
living room or kitchen is the right place because people the world over can
relate to the same room environment.

Outdoors anywhere just doesn't cut it.

Now run hard with it as many as you can, in as short a period of time
possible. With the prints in hand and drop it in front of a publisher and it
will fly!:-) Or an agent that knows the right publishing market for the
concept.

I don't think you can miss given what we've seen so far...

But stay in the kitchen or the living room!

ted

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] more portraits: americans and their firearms)
Reply from summicron at bellsouth.net (Frank F. Farmer) ([Leica] more portraits: americans and their firearms)