Subject: [Leica] Dusty Negative Scan Revised, Tina M. and Douglas S.
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Sun Feb 26 19:39:13 2006

I took a break from scan cleanup and spent some time in the darkroom this
afternoon.

Since then I downloaded both the recommended DCE Tools (Hot Pixels) and
Polaroid's Dust and Scratch repair software. The DCE Tools software worked
great once with my Tiff file of this image, which was scanned and remained a
RGB 16 bit file. After the first DCE cleaning it would open a window saying
it only worked with "RGB files". The Tiff was still in fact RGB. Other than
not working beyond the first time it worked really well using the default
settings. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong to get this message?

With the Polaroid software, the apparent correction using the default
settings was not as great, but the SW worked everytime.

The Polaroid adjusted image is posted here:

http://www.leica-gallery.net/gjl-1/image-92010.html

Original negative was Kodak Tri-X (not Fuji Acros). This neg was from the
Tri-X formulation prior to the current formula. Kodak was right, the older
Tri-X has more silver in it and does not scan as well.

Thanks again Tina and Douglas!

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] Dusty Negative Scan Revised, Tina M. and Douglas S.)