Subject: [Leica] Re: 4/3 lens flange standard
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Sun Feb 26 19:25:48 2006

OK, I asked if the 4/3 lens mount was similar to that on the Olympus Pen F.
While I have not been able to come up with a definitive answer, half an hour
surfing Google came up with the following:

1. The 4/3 mount surely looks like the Pen F mount, at least judging from
the pictures of the adapters offered by Cameraquest and others. Without
exact dimensions, however, I cannot be sure.

2. The 4/3 system is covered by US Patent 6,910,814 issued June 28, 2005.
The actual patent covers the camera and 4/3 standard. Unfortunately I was
not able to download the drawings with the relevant mount specifications on
my laptop browser (IE 5.1). I'll try again tomorrow with Safari. If anyone
has access to the patent literature, they may be able to get the actual
drawings.

3. The flange to sensor distance of the 4/3 system is 38.67 mm. The distance
for the Oly Pen is 28.95 mm. That for the Olympus OM series is 46.0 mm. And
of course the distance for the Leica M is 27.8 mm and the Leica s
crew is 28.8 mm. This means that an adapter can be constructed for the 4/3
system for any lens with a flange to film distance od 40 mm or greater. This
includes the OM series lenses and most others built for full frame SLR
cameras but obviously not the Leica or Pen lenses. So all of us who
fantasized about using our Leica RF lenses on a 4/3 system, whether made by
Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, Kodak, or Leica, are out of luck.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] Re: 4/3 lens flange standard)