Subject: [Leica] scanner software
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Mon Feb 27 23:31:15 2006

Search this month's archive when Greg asks for scanner setting advice.

I have personally scanned hundred+ rolls (it's easy when you have a bulk
film adapter) of Tri-X and some HP5 with Vuescan and a LS-4000. It took a
while to find the right settings but seldom any problems now.

I am pretty sure Steve Unsworth has a 5000 and he has scanned even more B&W
than I do.

Just say no to urban myth about scanning B&W on a Nikon scanner :-)

At 11:21 PM 2/27/2006, David Keenan wrote:

> >A Nikon Coolscan V. Thanks for looking.
>
>What software are you using with the Coolscan?
>
>I have a Coolscan 5000 and VueScan.
>
>I just scanned a roll of Ilford HP5 and had lots of problem with film
>grain. I had to turn the "Grain reduction" setting to "Heavy" to get any
>smoothness into the scans.
>
>The scans were also over-exposed. I will rerun the roll to address the
>exposure problem and maybe that contributed to the accentuated grain.
>
>I have heard that the Nikon scanners weren't the best for b&w film. Maybe
>I've found out why.
>
>Any comments?
>
>Dave.

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] scanner software)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] scanner software)