Subject: [Leica] Photographers Formulary Rapid Fix
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Wed Mar 1 13:39:53 2006

Jeffery Smith wrote:

> The scanned negatives are covered with tiny white spots, so it is
> definitely
> something on the film, not pinholes. Two of the three solutions I
> put on the
> film were not completely dissolved. The borax bath in divided D-76
> doesn't
> stay completely dissolved, but borox is so soluble in water, it
> would have
> come off in the rinse. I don't know what the cloudiness in the
> fixer was,
> but I didn't use distilled water (there is virtually none in the
> city right
> now...I went to five stores and found a total of 2 gallons). I'm
> thinking it
> is the cloudy stuff in the fix. I'll try distilled and make up the
> solution
> a few hours before I use it. I wish I had a magnetic stirrer.

Consider a water purifier -- I bought one at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=03234480000 ,

no need to use the charcoal filter packs. You might be surprised at
what gunk you will find in the pot after the water has been boiled off.

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Photographers Formulary Rapid Fix)