Subject: [Leica] Which one you prefer?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Mar 2 08:21:21 2006

"Deveney, Marty (PIRSA)" offered:
>>> As they are I really like both, but prefer #2 - in #1the slight crop on
>>> the bicycle wheel really bugs me for some reason.<<<

G'day Marty,
Yes the wheel touching the bottom border line was a bit bothersome, but I
felt the overall composition still saved it as barely an OK. But not great
for other reasons.... "static and cold."

As others have pointed out, maybe this was the first "gentle kiss?" If so
then it still doesn't make it as it still emotes a cold posed feeling. Maybe
from "experience of the first kiss?" ;-) It seems they were always a tad
warmer than what we see here. ;-) Hey even those teen age ones ..."as I
recall" had a little more feeling to them than these. ;-)

> Ted, respectfully, if you're referring to Doisneau's  "Le Baiser de
> l`Hotel de Ville" when you refer to the Paris street kiss, it's hardly a
> standard to judge all others by; many (including Doisneau himself [and
> me]) can't stand it<<<

I used it as a sample even though from the first time I saw it, I always
believed it to be a set-up picture that took the edge off being a classic
"instant moment." So I've never been knocked out by it myself for that very
reason.

>>>I would wallpaper my rooms with Ted Grant originals before I would ever
>>>let a reproduction of that awful photo into my house - and I mean that as
>>>a sign that just about every photo of yours that I've seen is 100% better
>>>than "Le Baiser . . . "<<<

You are too kind sir, very much appreciated. I feel this deserves more than
a thank you in this case considering the "competition reference." ;-)

Because my first posting of pictures are still in the Leica Gallery,
http://gallery.leica-users.org/My-Photo-Life  how would you like to select
one, let me know which and I'll send you a 11X14 copy! :-) We can do this on
private line. ;-) So there you go mon ami make your choice, "Let the wall
papering begin!" ;-) Thanks again. :-)

> This is really interesting, because interpretation is paramount here.  I
> have significant experience in editing photos professionally, but when
> there is no particular purpose in mind for the photo, it essentially
> becomes completely subjective again.<<<

Yes I understand what you mean it's like "Why?" Then one has to look at the
photograph for an entirely different reason than first imagined. Sometimes
finding a better reason for it being exposed.

 > I tend to agree with BD on the ambiguity.  Looking at the photo makes me
feel like I've been in the same situation in the past, maybe I have.

Jeeeesh giving away "life secret moments" ;-) I'm sure I was. ;-) However, I
see these photos as a great example for a pub panel discussion, relaxing,
beer in hand with audience asking questions of the panel.

On screen it hardly ever works due to time delays for quick response. And of
course instant refills! ;-)

ted